About Me

My photo
Celoron, NY, United States
And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath

5.16.2011

lovingcarewisdom

Family Leave
By Laura McCollough Moss

That's it
don't be restless now
Dial soap
hot water in a plastic basin
squeeze the cloth tight
wrap it around your hand
like a mitt
never forgot that
press the moist, clean-smelling warmth
gently against her face and
hear the grateful sigh
Wipe the eyes carefully
outward from the inside corner
each side of the nose
wet the lips
dip
rinse
"I was thinking,"
she rasps
"About the restaurant.
Mike could make up boxed lunches.
He could have specials with
a different sandwich featured every day."
There's a pause while I stare into the cloudy water
tears piercing my eyes
She looks at me
"What's wrong Honey?"
I look at her
really look
we both know her time is fading
"I'm just sad that you won't be there."
I take her hand and clean between the fingers.
There's so little I can do and yet
it is everything.
She doesn't look now
closes her eyes
"I'll be there,"
she says
Picking up the towel
I know
 she will.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment and input.